Vermont Substance Abuse Certification

Addiction Studies Resources, Vermont

How To Become A Substance Abuse Counselor In Vermont

Are you wondering how to become a substance abuse counselor in Vermont? We will provide all of the information you will need to find out how to begin your career in addiction counseling. Substance abuse counselors in Vermont are provided licensure and certification by the Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor and Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor Advisors which is a part of the Secretary of State’s Office of Professional Regulation (OPR). The OPR offers 3 different levels of certification/licensure. These different levels are Apprentice Addiction Profession (AAP), Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC), and Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LADC).

Degree Requirements & Education

AAP applicants must have at least an Associate’s Degree. ADC applicants must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in a behavioral science. LADC applicants must hold their Master’s Degree which should be in a behavioral science or related course.

AAP applicants have to take at least 40 hours of substance abuse counseling education. These hours must be completed within 5 years from initial certification as AAP. The ADC and LADC applicants must take 270 hours of substance abuse counseling education.

Experience Requirements & Supervision

While the AAP certification does not require applicants to have any work experience at the time of application, they must prove they are employed at the time of application. The employer or supervisor will need to fill out this form: AAP Supervisor Verification Form. The job the AAP applicant has must be in the substance abuse counseling field or closely related. The ADC applicants will be required to complete at least 4,000 hours of work experience under direct supervision. The supervisor must complete this form: ADC Supervision Report Form. LADC applicants will need to complete 2,000 hours of post-degree supervised work experience. The supervisor of the LADC applicant must fill out this form: LADC Supervision Report Form.

Sponsored Content

Supervisors must have held their LADC License for at least 1 whole year. If they are not a LADC they must be an Independent clinical social worker, psychologist, marriage and family therapist, or clinical mental health counselor. Supervisors will have to provide proof of their licensure.


Applicants will need to apply online because the OPR no longer accepts paper applications. This will be done here: Office of Professional Regulation Portal. The applicant will need to register and create an account if they have not already. On this portal they can apply for an individual or business license, check the status of an application, request an official credential or license verification, renew a license, and submit continuing education requests. Please allow the OPR at least 3-5 business days for processing the application before inquiring.


The exams for all levels of certification and licensure (except AAP) are provided by the International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC). The AAP applicant will take the Vermont AAP Exam. The ADC applicant will take the Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) Exam. The LADC applicant must take the Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (AADC) Exam. Applicants may only register for the exam after their application has been approved. The IC&RC’s website provides study material, candidate guides, and online practice exams which can be found here: IC&RC Exam Prep.

Sponsored Content


All renewal applications must be filled out online within the OPR portal. That link is provided above under “Application.” Credentials must be renewed every 2 years. Information regarding required continuing education hours can also be found online in the portal.